Monday, April 16, 2012

I don't know about you, but my life seems like a constant series of striving to do things 'better'. And it's all good...it's called growth, progress, maturity...and all that jazz. And really, I know it's good, but frankly, sometimes it's so.tiring. Sometimes it feels like the last thing I want to do is deal with another teacher, another discipline issue, another meeting. I get completely drained from figuring out how to better save money, how to be more organized, how to have a healthier lifestyle, be a better parent, be a more effective leader... The list goes on and on. And I really do want all those things...life is all about growing and changing and improving...but gosh, it can be so draining sometimes. (Especially if you don't detach and make time to just have fun...which I haven't done of late, admittedly.)

However, after having a particular stretch of feeling this way, this morning Bryce broke through with a moment that was like a ray of sunshine on a cold winter day. After helping him deal with some issues last night, he came in my room this morning and laid down by me on the bed. He smiled and said "Mom, I'm glad to have you and dad for parents." That was all. Amid my tired, I-so-don't-want-to-get-up-and-face-another-week, that single comment broke through and has stayed with me all day. As I've juggled in my mind all that needs to be done, dealt with, addressed, etc., I keep coming back to that comment, and it makes me smile.

Very grateful for the little things.




1 comment:

Zoanna said...

"Apples of gold in a setting of silver." Precious.