Wednesday, April 18, 2012

my blog diet

Blogs have revolutionized my world. This may sound over-dramatized, but to a large degree, it's very true. They are something that has effected my life in one way or another, on a near-daily basis. Whether it's writing here, on my personal blog, starting my new faith/ministry blog, or reading blogs from my feeder, I am daily interacting with blogs as a format, and bloggers worldwide. It's quite phenomenal, if you think about it. I've been able to connect and 'meet' people all over the world that I otherwise would never have known. People who would otherwise have limited outlets for their stories, their expertise, their experiences, now have a vehicle to share. I'm grateful for this, both as a blogger and as a reader.

However, I also have come to realize how much of an impact all this blogginess can actually have in my life. While I may not know, personally, some of these folks, I've allowed them to influence my thoughts, my passions, even some of my decisions. I would say 95% of this is all positive. I've learned TONS about meal planning, simplifying, decorating and parenting. I've been encouraged by ministers, moms and make-overs.

 But, I have realized of late, I've also taken some of the 'greatness' that we see in blogland and begin to compare. I compare my home, my style, my ministry, my meals. I see what others have/do/are, and little seeds of envy, jealousy and covetousness start to grow in my heart. So what's a blog-lover to do?

Well, since I have such a long list of Bloggy Love in my feeder (in the good 'ol days I used to click to every blog; now there's so many, a feeder was the only way to efficiently manage them all), I have begun to look at each with a more selective eye. I've begun to be aware of how I feel when I am reading the posts. Am I encouraged? Or am I annoyed? Do I see helpful things that I can actually do, or do I feel pressure and a sense of being 'not good enough'...the Wonder Woman/Supermom Complex? Are there things I can take away and apply, or are there just things that I can't have, but now want? I've decided to take control of my 'feeder' and limit my blog 'diet' to only the 'healthy' choices. Blogs that are good for me...no sugar-loaded sweets that make me just want more and more.

And, if I may be so bold, I would encourage you to do the same. Cut out blogs that are just time-suckers for you. Delete the ones that make you envious of things you can't have, or tell you that you aren't good enough. Remove the idealistic-but-never-attainable. Keep the ones that make you laugh; savor the ones that prompt you to think of all the blessings you have to be thankful for. Definitely hang on to the ones that are making you better at what you do...be it household manager or CEO. I am reminded of a verse, (yes, clearly taken out of context, as it was not addressing blogging in Thessalonians), but the concept still applies,
But test and prove all things [until you can recognize] what is good; [to that] hold fast. Abstain from evil [shrink from it and keep aloof from it] in whatever form or whatever kind it may be. ~1 Thess. 5:21-22, Amplified Bible
Lastly, one final thought...a line from a song.  I want to use it to say, if THIS blog annoys you, wastes your time, or frustrates you...get rid of it.  I hope you don't...I kinda like the thought that someone is reading what I write, but at the same time, it's more important to have a healthy blog diet.  I love this song by Switchfoot, and it's message.  Listen to the whole thing...but take this line as my personal sentiment to you...
"If we're adding to the noise...turn off this song."


No comments: