Monday, March 5, 2012

filling your tank

Life can get crazy.  Really crazy...to the point where you find yourself going, going, going...and before you know it, running on empty.  I speak from experience.  However, I also know that during these times of intensity, it becomes all the more important to make sure to take time to do things like rest, and activities you enjoy...things that will 'fill you up', so to speak.  By saying I 'know' these things...that really means I 'know them in my head', but that doesn't necessarily translate to actually 'doing' them. 

Obviously, having 4 active children and an otherwise full life, we are most definitely in one of those intense seasons.  (It seems as it may be a season that will last for several years).  So it needs to become a priority to keep ourselves filled up.  I have more opportunity for this than Todd does (working a 45-50 hour a week job that is 45 minutes away from home doesn't lend well to having a lot of extra 'free time'), but I normally feel guilty about using the time that I have to do such things.  But over the past few weeks, Todd has become rather adamant that at least one of us needs to be taking the opportunity to rest, and so he's been insisting that I take at least one day a week to relax and 'refuel'.  I know it sounds ridiculous, but I really struggle to do this...but I'm trying.  He suggested making Mondays my mandatory 'day off'; with the kids home today this isn't entirely possible (as any mom knows), but I'm trying to at least chill a bit and do things I enjoy. 

Here's the amusing part...I actually had to really think to figure out what I would enjoy doing and what would 'fill my tank'.  What surprised me and made me chuckle (because it seems so different from what I would have chosen 10 to 20 years ago) was my choice of activities.

I think today I will paint my nails and read a theology textbook...and I'm looking forward to it.  Boy, I've come a long way, baby. 

What fills your tank?


No comments: