Sunday, August 31, 2008

perspective

I've been wondering the past few days what makes people vote the way they do, and why people get so passionate about politics. (I, of course, am including myself in this analysis.) At first I thought that maybe it was a 'me-centered' (what is going to meet my personal needs and make me more comfortable) versus a 'we-centered' (what would be best for the country overall, even if I personally don't benefit or seemingly 'lose out' in some way) perspective. I thought about it for a moment, thinking republicans would claim to be more 'we' centered in their thinking - a majority of them voting strongly on the abortion issue but then I realized that a large portion of democrats would make the same claim on the basis of feeling that the democratic party does more for the issue of poverty. So it's not necessarily a 'me' versus 'we'.

I think what must come into play to some degree is your own personal life experiences - good or bad - and also your belief system...what things carry a heavier priority for you. Actually, I think it's a combination of those things. This is how you can get even people within the same faith, church and even family coming at the voting issues from different angles. My conclusion? There's no formula to how people think when it comes to politics.

While I tend to get very passionate and wonder how people could not value the things I do, I want to always try to remember that they are not me - they have different experiences and perspectives that are not wrong simply because they are different than mine. I think that as Christians it's important to realize and remember there is not a 'christian party' and no candidate has all the answers.

I will even go as far as to say that while I greatly value the freedoms that we have in this country, and there really isn't anywhere else in the world I'd rather live, I am first and foremost a citizen of a different kingdom. If the elections don't go the way I want, it's okay - I'm not going to get angry or become fearful. Even if the worst scenario, if our country would decline and I somehow lose my freedoms, I still would maintain my first loyalty - to my King. I know that all things are in His hands, and while I have a responsibility to do all within my power to fight for justice, I also accept that God has an ultimate purpose and will work all things together for my good - even if that good is brought through times of trial and persecution. Do I hope for such refining? No. Do I accept it? Yes. And so my prayer through this political season is: "Father, have your way."

2 comments:

Briana Almengor said...

Excellent perspective and biblical conclusion..something well worth meditating on and being reminded of often..esp. in this election year.

Laura said...

good stuff!