Monday, August 6, 2007

re-entry

It's been a whirlwind for me ever since last Thursday. I've pretty much been going constantly...literally. I went from one thing to the next, only stopping to grab some sleep in between. Now I'm done, and have some time to process. Since I'm an 'outward' processor, I think I'll probably have several posts forthcoming over the next few days.

By way of update all the way from a week ago... The corn freezing couldn't have gone any better. We had all the kids (well, except Eva, who is only 2 months old) help with the husking (that would be 7 kids ages 2-11); then we put the 5 younger ones down for naps, and they all went right to sleep, and didn't wake until we were all done! For anyone who is unfamiliar with the process, after husking we cooked all the corn, cut it off the cobs, and spooned it into freezer bags. It's a very messy process, but, in my opinion, worth it. We ended up with about 20 quart bags. Won't be enough for a whole year, but it will take us through a good portion of it. And I LOVE home-frozen corn so much better than corn you buy already frozen at the grocery store. It tastes just like fresh corn-on-the-cob. Mmmm... I haven't frozen corn at all the past few years, so it will be special again to have that taste, say, about November. Now I look forward to doing applesauce in the fall. Hopefully by then my sister will be all moved in to her newly-built house (that they've waited 8 years for...YEAH!!) and we can do all the fun, messy stuff in her SPACIOUS kitchen!

3 comments:

Zoanna said...

You make me wanna try it .I always wonderered if was worth all the work. How long do you boil the corn? You can't just freeze it without cooking it first?

Jessi said...

I bring the water to a boil, put the corn in, let it come back to a rolling boil and leave it in that about 3 minutes. As far as I know, you really can't do freeze it without cooking it first. I think it's worth the work, especially since the corn was given to us. I never priced it out if you have to go and buy it...that might make a difference whether or not it's worth it.

Shaula said...

You sound so Martha Stewart! :)