Monday, April 2, 2007

I'm back!

Well, it's been quite a while since my last post! I've thought several times, "I should blog about this...", but really haven't had a spare minute to do so! Last week we were at a leadership conference Monday through Thursday, which was very good, but also rather tiring. It's wonderful and frustrating attending these, because we get encouraged and challenged, but also end up taking a hard look at where we are currently at, which can be a bit frustrating as well. Overall, I personally am excited about all the things going on at Koinonia House, the amazing things God has been doing (check out some of the testimonies on the "News" page of the Koinonia House website - www.koinonia-house.com), but also feel renewed in my passion to go after our vision again. I feel like I've become a bit complacent because I got discouraged because of all the hurdles we experienced in the second part of last year, especially in our personal life. Renewed passion for me means readjusting my attitude toward some things, probably re-examining our website in hopes to come up with a more accurate reflection of who we are as opposed to something that 'sounds' better (I looked at it again when we got home and thought "Boy, this seems very 'churchy'..."), praying more consistently (worry and lamenting less) about church building/finances/etc.

Another exciting thing that happened at the conference is that it looks like I'm going to be writing a children's curriculum! Larry Kreider just published a new book called "Building your Personal House of Prayer - An Extreme Makeover for Your Prayer Life" and I am going to attempt to adapt it into simple lessons to be used for kids in Sunday School or small group settings. The book takes the Lord's prayer and breaks in down into 'rooms' of a house that represent elements of the prayer. For example, "Our Father who art in Heaven" teaches us to approach God as father - this would be the 'Family Room' in the 'house of prayer'. "Hallowed be Thy name" takes us to the 'Adoration Room' - reminding us that as we pray, we should express adoration and honor to God. I've heard Larry teach on this a couple of times, and as I was listening to him teach it again at the conference, I thought "I could really use this with my kids. It's a good, yet fairly simple concept, and I could even make a 'house' picture to use as a visual reminder..." Then I thought, "Well, if I could teach my own kids, how hard would it be to write up lessons to teach lots of kids!" So I talked to Larry about it, we talked to the lady in charge of the publishing division of Dove, and...here we are!! So if you happen to think of it, I'd appreciate any prayers as I tackle this project!!

Well, speaking of which, I should spend some time on that now...

No comments: