Wednesday, December 22, 2010

my new friend Betty

Betty Crocker has seriously saved the day this Christmas season. Because there were going to be no cookies baked in this Clemmer household, in my effort to cut down on unnecessary stress. Yes, cookie baking, to me, is stressful. Not that I don't enjoy it, but it's just not 'easy'. Until I invited Betty to join me for the holidays. Oh, yeah. She's practically my new best friend. (My real best friends get offended by this, so that's why I say 'practically'). ;)

I made five different kinds of cookies the other day, on a day when I had some running around to do, and 2 extra kiddos (one being a 7 month old)...and it was a breeze! Betty did most of the work for me, all I had to do was throw in some butter and eggs, and turn on the miracle machine on my counter known as the Kitchen Aid Mixer...and voila! We had chocolate chip, snickerdoodles, peanut butter, sugar and chocolate mint cookies. They looked festive and were delicious, and completely stress-free.

And can I just say...the chocolate mint chip ones were....heavenly. Especially when they were still warm!!

So, if you are down to the wire and have no holiday sweets in the house, can I just say, run out to your grocery store, or Walmart, or Target...and introduce yourself to Betty. She's sweet and wonderful and will make your life so much easier. (And she's very humble...she doesn't mind if you don't tell anyone she helped you...it can be your little secret and no one will be any wiser!)

And from what I hear, Santa might be partial to the Snickerdoodles, but I can tell you that MRS. Clause is ALL about the mint! So, since we all know she's the real driving force behind all the presents for good little boys and girls...you might want to give her some! ;)

Here's the recipe:

1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker® sugar cookie mix
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon mint extract
6 to 8 drops green food color
1 egg
1 cup creme de menthe baking chips
1 cup semisweet chocolate chunks

  1. Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, stir cookie mix, butter, extract, food color and egg until soft dough forms. Stir in creme de menthe baking chips and chocolate chunks.
  2. Using small cookie scoop or teaspoon, drop dough 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
  3. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until set. Cool 3 minutes; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Serve warm or cool completely. Store tightly covered at room temperature.
Happy Baking!

No comments: