Monday, November 15, 2010

silence is golden

It is amazing the way God intervenes in our lives. Earlier this morning I sat down to type, all set with a post in my head...and probably one that I was in no frame of mind to write. I probably would have said things I shouldn't have, and regretted it later. But when I went to log on, Blogger wouldn't even let me sign in, for 'some reason'. So, I thought, oh well...and went on with my morning. Later when I sat down again, I was reminded of a verse that I read in Proverbs this morning that made me smile.
Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue.
~Proverbs 17:28
The reason it made me smile was because it reminded me of a quote from Abraham Lincoln that my Grandpa used to say often, which even though it's different, they are both recommending silence:
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
~Abraham Lincoln
Hmmm....it only took a verse, a quote and a computer malfunction to get me to realize God was trying to tell me to just SHUT UP!! :) Okay, okay....I got it. But at least He provided me with something else fun to post about in the process, and gave me something to laugh at myself about.

So....whether you think me wise or foolish for holding my tongue, I can honestly say I know that God answered this prayer for me today (and I actually do have this quote on a little plaque in my house to remind me to pray this often!!):

Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth!

2 comments:

zz said...

Funny, my mom used to quote that Abe Lincoln truism all the time.

Holly said...

that is wise, very wise advice!!! Thank you!