Friday, May 21, 2010

field day

Today I'm going to Field Day at my boys' school. Field Day was always one of THE WORST days of the entire school year for me. I guess I was a bit backwards...give me standardized testing any day, I loved it! Never understood why teachers acted like it was so 'taxing' on us students, I ate it up!! But Field Day....ugh...that was a different story. Everyone else was excited; I wanted to cry. I couldn't run fast, I wasn't coordinated, so throwing or kicking balls was not my thing either. In fact, physical activity of any kind, especially that which involved others standing around watching me, made me sick to my stomach.

The atmosphere here this morning was entirely different from my dreaded Field Day mornings. Unlike me, my boys thrive on physical challenges, and they are actually good at them! They were HAPPY to be going to Field Day and getting out of any 'real schoolwork'. So, as I go watch them today, I will get to experience a whole different side of this historic elementary school event. But, in the back of my mind, I'm going to be keeping an eye out for that poor, uncoordinated little kid who is suffering through the agony of this day, and I'll pray for her/him! ;)


No comments: