Sunday, November 8, 2009

dirty dishes

Let me just say...I hate dishes. They are an exercise in futility. The minute they are all cleaned up and put away, more suddenly appear, cluttering up my counters and taking over my already-small kitchen. Since my kitchen is so...shall we say 'petite'...even just a few dirty dishes makes the whole thing look an utter mess. However, as I loaded the dishwasher yet again the other morning, I thought about how very thankful I am to have a dishwasher, and that because of that fact, my kitchen can go from disaster to tidy in just a few minutes. I cannot imagine my life without it. I grew up without a dishwasher, and doing the dishes was the very bane of my existence. Well, that might be a little dramatic...but I really did hate it. A lot. Especially drying and putting away; I'd rather wash any day.

Anyway, now, being the mom of a somewhat large family (in relation to the average...not the Duggars...well, or several of my neighbors...)... Okay, let me try again...6 of us make a lot of dishes! So I'm super-eternally-grateful for my little Kenmore. While thinking about this the other day, a poem sprang to my mind that my mom always had hanging above our kitchen sink. (Our house was a half-double, so there was no window above the sink). I think it was very smart of my mother to hang it there, for we spent many hours gazing at it while scrubbing.

Thank God for dirty dishes
They have a tale to tell
While others may go hungry
We're eating very well.
With home and health and happiness
I shouldn't want to fuss
For by the stack of evidence
God's been very good to us!

1 comment:

Bets said...

Aw, I actually teared up reading the poem that I haven't thought about in ages, yet now find so very appropriate. I may need to put that on something for my own kitchen now! And as much as I know you don't like your kitchen, and I hope to help you fulfill your dreams of beautifying it soon, I have to remind you that I love spending time in your kitchen/dining room because it's comforting and cozy and intimate.