Thursday, November 6, 2008

a garden treasure

Just wanted to quickly share a treasure I came across during school today. We've been reading Peter Rabbit for Seth's language arts, and so along the theme of animals and gardens, I pulled out a book that we've had for some time, but I don't remember reading with the kids before. It's called "How Groundhog's Garden Grew" and in addition to having the most wonderful illustrations, it tells through a delightful story about Squirrel & Groundhog, how to really grow a garden! The story explains in detail so much, including how plants grow from seeds, what animals do in the winter months, what perennials are and so much more. It also teaches concepts such as not stealing, sharing and thankfulness. It's one of the best children's books I've read in a while! And here it's been sitting on my shelf for who-knows-how long!?! Oh, well. It was a bright spot in my day, and I'm happy to recommend it to you!

No comments: