Sunday, October 12, 2008

Meet Maggie

Well, we've got a new addition to our family! Yep, we gave in to the pleas of our children and brought home a puppy for them yesterday. I have to say, she is most adorable, and I tried to keep reminding myself of that at 3:30 this morning when we were up with her, and then again for the next hour as she cried and yelped because she didn't want to be in her crate, and when she had to go out again at 6...

Anyway...after having gotten up with real babies for so many years of my life now, it really didn't feel all that unusual. AND I know this baby will only be this way for a short while AND I'm actually making Kate get up with her and only get me if she really needs help (which, in puppy's first transition night, Kate DID need help). But part of this whole deal was that the dog would be their responsibility (each to the level of their ability) and I'm really trying to make myself stick to that, as a large part of my reasoning for allowing the dog was that I thought it would be beneficial for the kids in multiple ways - all of them learning responsibility, Bryce learning to be gentle, Luke learning not to be afraid of animals, and Seth - well, he's just a boy with a lot of love who needed a dog.

Yesterday the pup was mostly just really scared, and tired, and was extremely laid back and docile. The farmer we got her from said she'd probably start becoming more active and playful in another week or so. Well, apparently last night in the middle of the night she decided she felt safe and happy, and wanted to play. And chew. And be crazy. We explained to her that we sleep at night here at the Clemmer house, and she would have to learn to do so as well - and after pottying, she was put back in her crate. To cry. Loudly. But, just like I did with my kids when I knew all their needs were met and it was time to sleep, we just left her go and went back to bed.

Today she's kept all of the kids on their toes, to say the least. I think everyone (except Luke) has taken their turns cleaning up pee and poop. We are insisting that as long as she's awake, at least one of them must be watching her constantly (as she is currently trying to chew anything that moves - or doesn't!). They've been really good about it, and are now happy when she's finally tired out and ready to sleep, and they can put her in her box and go do something less 'intensive'. Luke still sort of freaks whenever she moves quickly or looks at him, but we're working on that.

So, that's the update so far. Oh, and last but not least, Todd has been fairly good-natured about it all, as he felt it was the 'right' thing to do to get her, but he's not exactly thrilled. He says he likes her and thinks she's cute, but I think it will take a bit more time for him to be 'attached' to her.

Well, after hearing all the report...meet Maggie. (She's a yellow lab).






7 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness!!! she's soo cute!! she looks like the perfect dog for you guys!

Anonymous said...

Aww, she is really cute and I'm sure she'll fit right in. Squirt her with a squirt bottle of water every time she starts to chew. It should curb that habit. Glad to hear you took the plunge.

Anonymous said...

how cute

Anonymous said...

For the crying at night - try putting a small ticking clock or a radio on softly close to her crate. I think the theory is that Maggie will think she's not alone and won't cry as much. It did help with Zeke! ~ Wanda

Anonymous said...

awww how cute!

Laura said...

anytime you need a dog-sitter, I'm here for ya!

Anonymous said...

So so cute! Looks like you'll have lots of helpers, too. =)