Monday, August 4, 2008

speaking his ove language - "quality time"

I had an interesting insight into Seth's love language today...

Both Kate and Bryce were off spending time at friends' houses, and this morning it was just the two younger boys and I. We had some running around to do, so I decided we could stop at Rita's for a special treat. After that it was back to the errands, but both boys were very pleasant. Upon arriving at Wal-Mart to pick up a few items, Luke sighed... "This is boring!" he said. Seth quickly turned and responded "But it's alone-time, Lukey!" Luke's bewildered look said that he wasn't buying Seth's viewpoint, but it grabbed my attention. I said to Seth, "You like having 'alone-time' don't you?" He nodded emphatically. (He's always the one trying to get dad to take him to Dunkin' Donuts on a Saturday morning, or go along with me to the grocery store, especially when no one else wants to.) I asked "Does it make you feel loved?" With a big grin he answered "Yep!" As we headed off to get the most mundane items (such as good band-aids!), Seth slipped his hand into mine and chatted happily. It set the tone for the rest of the day...I don't think I had to scold him once. He didn't even complain about having to clean up all the yard toys left out from our picnic yesterday without his older sibs to help. I really need to remember that those little 'deposits' into their 'love tanks' really do go a long way.

Now, hours later, I'm hoping he's still being as good and pleasant as he takes his turn sleeping over at Aunt Betsy's!!

No comments: