Wednesday, January 23, 2008

they found out...

Today was a dreaded, fateful day. I'd hidden this information from my sons so well, for so long, but today they found out. They saw pictures...asked questions. I figured they'd find out someday - maybe from their friends - but certainly I had no intentions of telling them. I mean, sure, it was something I did when I was young...but that was a long time ago...no sense they had to walk in my footsteps. But now...there's no turning back. I'm sure I will be inundated with questions; if I tell them it is forbidden, they will only throw back in my face the craziness of my youth. It's a can of worms that's been opened, I tell you! What, you may ask, is this dreaded 'thing'??




It's THIS!
Yep - the Creation festival (what were you thinking??) The scorching heat during the day, freezing temps early in the morning, getting up while still dark in order to get seats, long lines for to use toilets, and we won't even talk about the whole showering dilemma!! Yes, from the time I was 12 til I was in my early twenties, this was my idea of an ultimate good time. And now...well, I guess I'm just getting old. Because today, as my boys grabbed the flyer and screamed out band names like "David Crowder Band!! Kutless!! Switchfoot!! Hawk Nelson!!" I just groaned within. Maybe not this year, maybe not next, but sometime, probably not too far off, I imagine I will find myself camping on a certain farm in Mt. Union, PA once again. But this time around, instead of the carefree teenager, I will be one of those Moms, packing drinks and dragging kids... Oh, I'm torn...I really want to be one of the cool, fun moms - but oh, the price!!

Well, given my boys personalities and interests, it seems inevitable, so my only choice is to embrace it! I can see it now... my van - "CREATION OR BUST!!"

4 comments:

Bets said...

Think your kids will keep quiet around my kids about that? Or, what's more, around my husband.... Cause you know how I feel about...ew - camping...

Aunt Linda said...

Ahhhhhh yes, the fond, fond memories!!! I seem to recall a sleep-induced statement made by Bets uttered at Creation..."liquid Tide will get it out."

I lost count of the number of years we spent our wedding anniversary (June 26) amidst the teeming throngs of people. The years that the Buckwalter's and the Miller's spent at Creation conjure up wonderful memories.

Bets...rent a fully equipped RV...way better than camping! LOL

Laura said...

i have the perfect solution- just send em with tavellas... hehe, i'm sure they won't mind at all.

Anonymous said...

It was Creation 79 for me, baby. I'll never forget it. IT was the first time I ever witnessed an exorcism.
First time I was ever slain in the Spirit. First time I was ever in a crowd of over 1000 people. Last time I wore overalls.