Thursday, August 23, 2007

the bonsai tree

The past few weeks have been somewhat of a roller coaster ride for us. There's lots being stirred in our life - personally, and as a fellowship. We have gone through a process in the past 2 years that Koinonia House has been a church that has refined our vision, and God has made more clear where we are going, and what He is calling us to. Doesn't that sound wonderful?? Actually, it's really hard...I feel like a bonsai tree...I feel all little and vulnerable, and God is cutting back parts of me and our church, all in an effort to accomplish a purpose - make a beautiful, living thing grow in a certain direction. Not every branch can stay; some things in our life must go. Things that aren't necessarily bad, they just don't allow the fullest amount of nutrients to go to the right places. So God removes them. Sometimes the removal is very sad or painful, even though I know it's for the best. I'm chuckling at my own analogy as I sit here picturing Father God as Mr. Miyagi (I know, I'm dating myself here, but those of you who are old enough to remember the Karate Kid will appreciate the parallel). I have to trust Him in his infinite wisdom and do what he says, even when I can't always see the 'whys' of the sometimes unconventional things he asks me to do. (Remember "wax on, wax off"?)

No comments: