Tuesday, June 19, 2007

summer change up

Koinonia House is a cell-based church. That means that the real life of our church happens in cells, or small groups. We love our weekly Sunday service, which we call Celebration, but for people to really grow, be discipled, and disciple others, they need to be in relationship that goes beyond the 5 minute chat after the service.

We normally have 4 different cells that meet at various times & places throughout the week. But occasionally schedules get hectic and people need a break - especially in summer it seems. So we are trying to come up with a way to 'simplify' a bit, and give our cell leaders/hosts a much needed break for a little while. What we're going to do is combine into just a men's group and a women's group for the 8 weeks during July and August. The men will meet one week, the women the next and so-on(so those with kids won't have babysitter issues - one week mom gets her time out, the next week dad does). I have very mixed feelings about this for these reasons: I have really excited feelings about being able to just get real together as women and share some of the things God has done in my life, especially in the past year and a half. It's been a hard journey, and only fairly recently have I felt that I've had good solid breakthrough, learned some of the lessons God kept bringing around for me, and feel ready to share all of it. I feel like God has been stirring in me things about what it means to be Godly women, both in society and in the church and what our roles are - what God is calling us to as women in this particular time. I feel that there are a lot of women who need to be healed, who need to find out what God's view of women really is, need to know their identity - myself included. I'm looking forward to delving into some of these things - and more! (Don't worry, if any of you KH ladies are reading...we aren't going to be talking about the stereotypical 'girlie' things - hair, nails, shopping - so if that's your idea of a 'women's group', and it doesn't appeal to you, put it aside and come on out!) I feel very strongly that it's time for us in the church to take off the masks and be real...this is my hope for this group. I am praying that everyone will be able to plug in, and that new friendships will be formed, old ones strengthened. My hesitation with it is that someone will fall through the cracks...someone who has been plugged into cell might not be able to plug into this and start to feel disconnected or adrift. But we feel like this is what we are supposed to do for this short season. I know Todd has been wanting for a long time to get a chance to really 'go there' with the guys too. I'm praying that God is going to do some mighty things through this time. I'm looking forward to getting down to the 'nitty-gritty' with the gals...

1 comment:

Aunt Linda said...

What a great idea to take time to come apart in your "same sex" groups! I think you will enjoy the different type of focus and sharing that will take place! Blessings on you all.