Wednesday, April 27, 2011

desk makeover

I'm so very excited about the project I just completed!!   (And by 'just', I mean, about 20 minutes ago!)  It's a desk re-do (and I think the first makeover I've ever done by myself!), using a desk that we've had for a number of years, that one of the boys had used when we were homeschooling.  We used to have 2 of them, but because of not having enough space had gotten rid of one.  I really wanted to hang on to one of them because it's just such a good solid piece (real wood, not particle board!), but I was debating about whether or not to just unload it in my never ending quest to 'make more room!!!'.  I finally came to this conclusion...I'd try to pretty it up a bit to make it a more welcoming part of our family room; if it worked, it could stay.  If not, it was gone.  Well, let me just say...it's staying.  :)

So here's the 'before' of the desk, originally a 'standard issue' from a college dorm room (and some other junk I didn't bother to move for the picture):

And now the afters!  I'm so excited...this is the first project like this that I've done (so please don't point out all the flaws; I see them and I'm ignoring them!), and I did it by myself too!!  (I even used a power tool!  That's a big deal for me, as I'm actually afraid of them.)  :)
Ain't it purty?  Here's a shot of the whole little area...including my $5 clearance throw rug I picked up last night...
Just can't wait to work at my new little space...
(OK, I will admit...I do see how wonky the drawer pulls are at the moment.  After doing the first one, I got really nervous about lining up the second screw hole, so decided to just screw one side fast and beg for help from my hubby to do the second one.  They're only fastened on one side, so the other side is dropping slightly.  And I am also driven by guilt to say that the pillow on the chair is purely for 'staging' purposes...I just wrapped the extra fabric around a pillow I'd already make for upstairs and pinned it.  But I'm planning on making a pillow...and maybe even some curtains...with that there fabric.  Maybe you'll see that in a post later on.  First I gotta figure out how to replace the sewing machine needle that my dear daughter snapped off.  There...confession time over, I feel better!)

I'll be linking up at these parties!!!!
Furniture Feature Fridays


Domestically Speaking


Organize and Decorate Everything


Make it Yours @ My Backyard Eden

and here...(I couldn't find a party button - sorry!)
http://www.centsationalgirl.com/2011/04/paint-projects-link-party/

16 comments:

Bets said...

Love it, love it! You did a great job!

Briana Almengor said...

have you ever heard of a site, "Better After"? You'd probably love it and you could send her pics of some of the projects you've done, esp.if you're looking for more 'traffic' on your blog.

Jessi said...

I have, Bri - I love that blog! I did already submit my little stepstool, (and got a response from her, but she didn't say if she'd feature it or not, so I'm just waiting to see...) and I'm planning on sending this one too. Thanks for the suggestion...I'm definitely looking to do what I can to increase traffic here! :)

Angela said...

Beautiful Transformation! Love it, Love it, Love it!!!!!

Kristine said...

so glad those desks are worth something! Looks great! I unloaded mine last year. Oh, by the way, I clicked the "I'm good" button by accident because I couldn't read what it said (it kinda gets cut off)... sorry!

Between Blue and Yellow said...

You did a great job! I love how you left the top dark wood. It was a shabby piece before but what a great after!

Zoanna said...

Love the transformation. Maybe I missed it, but what is the patterned part made of ("the backsplash" so to speak?)--wallpaper or fabric?

Jessi said...

You didn't miss it Zo...I was overly zealous to share my pics and didn't give much detail...it is fabric that I stapled to the cork board part. I used fabric so that I can still pin things up there. Then I hot glued ribbon around the edges, right to the fabric, to cover up the staples.

Barbara Pilcher said...

That took some vision. And work! We've all seen desks like this, but you saw a sleeping beauty in it.

The handles don't look loopy. You're being hard on yourself. The fabric-covered corkboard is a great idea.

Thanks for sharing. And thanks for posting on my blog. I caught a glimpse of your red door in another post, and it looks fine.

Cindy said...

i think what you did with the desk is brilliant!! i would not have had the vision for that....it looks great!!!

hugs, cindy

Zoanna said...

Fabric on cork...very resourceful and pretty use of vertical space! Oh, and BTW, I have "staged" with fabric pinned to pillows, too! Wonder if the magazines do that?

Leanne said...

I think it turned out beautiful. I love the color and fabric you chose. Thanks for linking to Home Decor and Organizing Linky Party.

Unknown said...

Great job! The handles and fabric give it so much more personality!

Screaming Meme said...

Loving the fabric touch! Come by & sign up for my continual giveaway...this week a $100 giveaway! And a few of my recent posts about furniture and bird cages...and a hilarious story about me! ;) Meme

Jacqueline said...

I love this makeover! Coming from MMS and would love it if you'd come over to my party and link this up?
Simply Creations Link Party

TemporaryWaffle said...

I love the desk makeover! Beautiful color choice too.

I wanted to let you know I nominated you for the Liebster Blog award!! You can check out the full details on my blog at http://temporarywaffle.blogspot.com/2012/08/yay-for-liebster-blog-award.html