Monday, February 21, 2011

wait! don't toss that marker!!!

I have not been a particularly resourceful person...in the past.  I'm all about easy and disposable.  The problem is 'easy and disposable' can also be 'costly and wasteful'.  So, I've been trying to be conscious about being on the lookout for the little changes I can make to simply be a bit more thrifty.

I happened upon one such idea over at the blog 'The Art of Doing Stuff' the other day.  Karen shared a little secret about how to fix a dried out Sharpie.  It was a very easy idea and I got quite excited about the thought of revitalizing a few of my favorite permanent markers...because I have an affinity for pens, and hate to throw them away.  Then today, as I went to post this week's menu on my board (more on that tomorrow), I remembered that one of my two white Chalk Ink markers was dried up.  But, because of previously mentioned aversion to throwing out pens, AND the fact that these markers just simply aren't cheap, I hadn't been able to bring myself to part with it.  Now I'm very glad I hadn't!  I remembered Karen's tip and decided to try it out on my chalk marker...and sure enough...it worked!

Karen said that when a Sharpie quits working, it's usually not because it is out of ink, but because the tip has dried out.  Her instructions said to pour some rubbing alcohol in the bottle lid and let the tip soak in it until some ink started to swirl out.  I'm pretty good at doing what I'm told....see?

Then, replace the cap and wait for about 15 minutes or so.  Check.

Finally...to test out on my beloved board.  Sure enough...white chalky ink flowed once again!  AND I didn't have to mourn the passing of a really good pen OR spend money to replace it! 
Now you too can be a healer of markers!  Yay for felt tips!!  :)

No comments: