Wednesday, March 4, 2009

the silver lining

The past 2 days have been a little rough due to the cold/flu that has hit me. Sore throat, achy, chills and a nose that's running like a faucet (and now swollen, red and burning as a result) has really taken me out. Yesterday the kids got a total free day off school, because I just couldn't possibly think or stay upright to teach them. But don't worry - lest you think this a whining/complaining session - actually, I'm thinking on the things that I have to be thankful for in the midst of this!

First of all, the kids were really pretty great yesterday. They all tried to be pretty self-sufficient all day, and where Lukey couldn't, Kate, of course, jumped in and did a great job of helping with whatever he needed. Admittedly, it was kind of a free-for-all day - they spent the day watching movies and playing Wii, and they only ate what they could fix themselves. Rather than 'meals' they sort of 'grazed' throughout the day...though it was all healthy, so I'm not concerned...granola bars, yogurt, triscuits and cereal...could certainly be a lot worse! They all tried to be very sensitive about being somewhat quiet (for most of the day anyway...by supper they were having trouble containing the silliness of being subdued all day), and Seth even prayed for me first off when he found me laying sick in bed when he first got up. Todd did a great job making dinner for us all when he got home.

Today, my friend Lori called to see if we wanted to come over and go sledding with her kids. The thought of going out the door into the cold made me ache straight to the bone, but when she heard I was sick, she graciously offered to come take all my kiddos for the afternoon, and return them after dinner tonight. What a huge help!

And the final blessing I've been thankful for is that it's really only me that is sick! At least with all this help I am able to get some rest; if I had kiddos who were sick too, there'd be no choice but to push through to attend to them.

So, all in all - there's always some sun somewhere in a cloudy day!

No comments: