Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Keepin' it real...

Well, I decided it might be time again for some more 'real-ness'...

Sometimes when I am in conversation with people about the various things going on in my life - church, homeschooling, flower business, and various other things - they make the comment "I don't know how you have enough time!". Well, the reality is, I don't. I just make choices. Not better or worse choices than anyone else, just maybe different than what others would pick. We all have the same 24 hours... you, me, the president and the pope. (I don't know why I picked those 2 other than they are two high-profile people who I figure have a lot on their plates! And maybe because the boys are learning about the church in the Middle Ages, and we have a new president...) Anyway, I think when people make that comment they are asking how I "get it all done". Here's the answer... I DON'T!!

Each day there are things that don't get done, and most often, it's stuff around my house. I look forward to the day when I won't fear people dropping in unexpectedly - but this ain't that day! I love having my house all cleaned up and cozy - candles burning and something freshly baked - ready to be hospitable. I really LOVE doing that...and I think I used to do it more, but at this point in my life, that's something that I now have to plan for and work at! (Let me clarify - you're always welcome to just 'drop in', but you have to realize you do so at your own risk!)

My house is what I like to call 'functionally' clean... I try to make sure the upstairs - at least the 'public parts' - living room, dining room and kitchen - are tidied daily. But that usually happens at the end of the day. If you show up unannounced around mid-day, you are likely to find dishes piled in the sink, toys strewn about, school books, papers and art supplies EVERYWHERE. Bedrooms generally get cleaned up on the weekends, and in between...well, just don't open any closed doors when you come over, okay? The floors get mopped...maybe every couple of months, though sweeping (which I'm told is correctly called "vacuuming" by others not from this particular part of PA) happens somewhat regularly, especially since the addition of Maggie. Dusting? Hahaha....yeah, let's not really go there. The downstairs - which is family room/school room/mud room - well, that pretty much always looks like it just blew up.

The thing is...I really don't feel that there is anything I can do to change all of that at this point. It's where I'm at, so I'm really just pretty resigned to 'go with it'. This is a season of life. From what I'm told, there will come a day when I will wish for little sneakers and toy trains to be picking up. I'll think back fondly on sippy cups piled in the sink and scattered school supplies. So, rather than wish them away, I'm just gonna accept and appreciate them, and ask you to forgive my mess if you happen upon it. And one day, I hope to have a beautifully decorated, always clean and inviting home... but for now, could you settle for just functionally welcoming? Thanks...

I'm just keepin' it real.

4 comments:

Laura said...

everyone is more sensitive to their own mess... I don't think you hvae a messy house.

I'm glad you're choosing to enjoy life and your kiddos and not get bogged down by the ever constant waves of things to clean up.

Anonymous said...

YOur home sounds so inviting!! I would love to be home all day with the kids,something baking,the nice warm scent of a candle,relaxed with the day coming up knowing I was able to be home,homeschooling ry,playing with hannah,One day I guess!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are just enjoying being a mom right now which is the best thing you can do. You may someday have everything all cleaned up but that will probably be the empty nest days and then there will be grand-children. But just thank the Lord that there are children and a nice home to live in as many people probably just wish for that. And by the way, there are hardly ever any days that there isn't something to do.

Anonymous said...

I'm still looking for the day I become a tidy housekeeper... lol. I am ever hopeful (as are my girls) that I will learn to get rid of things instead of saving them for 'just in case'.

I am ever hopeful that people will drop by unexpectedly for a visit and I won't feel like apologizing for the mess all over or asking them to step outside and give me 15 minutes to clear a path and find the kitchen table.

Oh well... heavy sigh....

until then I will enjoy my kids and grandkids ... and deal with the rest another day...LOL!