Wednesday, November 5, 2008

now's the time to pray

The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know. Pray especially for rulers and their governments to rule well so we can be quietly about our business of living simply, in humble contemplation.
~I Timothy 2:1-2 (The Message)

At first watching last nights' election coverage made me disappointed, then angry, and then even somewhat fearful. And then I realized what idolatry is in my own life that would dictate me allowing myself to indulge in such emotions. I had a choice to make, and that choice is to "walk my talk" and truly believe that God is in control, and He has purposes that will be accomplished. I also began to contemplate the many reasons God might have for bringing Barack Obama to the presidency at this historic moment, not the least of which might be to bring refinement to his Bride, the Church. It is certainly high time that we tear down our own idols, of which trusting in a political system is certainly one. It is time that we focus on the task at hand - the same one that has always been at hand, even when we might have been distracted by the election swirl around us - and that is to bring the gospel of Jesus Christ to a lost and hurting world. If only we (or maybe I should just personalize it and say "I") would show such fervor and passion about that as we do about the worldly political system!

Don't misunderstand, my heart is truly grieved for the millions of babies that we, as a country, will continue to kill. I dread the thought that over the next four years my educational choices for my children may be greatly changed/limited. I take no joy in looking at the possibilites of entering into an even greater healthcare mess, once the government is given more control of it. I have concerns about our national security, among other things...and figure that maybe, just maybe, this is the exact place God wants me to be. Absolutely no where to look but to him. Just a reminder of what I should have already been doing.

As I watched President-Elect Obama's speech last night my heart was softened as I watched him. I saw him through eyes of compassion for a man about to step up to take over quite possibly the hardest, most dangerous job in the world. This is a man who really needs to have a revelation from God, not just once, but daily. I have begun praying that he would come to know a real relationship with Jesus that would begin to guide him and strengthen him.

2 comments:

Aunt Linda said...

Bravo, Jess!!! I couldn't have stated it better myself. I watched the election results last evening with mounting angst, then I was reminded that God is still in control, regardless of who our president is. How easy it is to forget that.

Love y'all!

Laura said...

yeah...