Monday, September 22, 2008

answers in unexpected places

As I mentioned, we listened to the entire unabridged version of "Prince Caspian" on our vacation. There were a few lines from the story that absolutely hit my heart like an arrow. Some of them almost seemed like God revealing insights to me about some things I'd been praying about. Some situations in our life have had me asking "God, where ARE you???" and wondering if He's even hearing me. I know many people get their answers from God directly from scripture, as often so do I, but God also speaks to me in many, many other ways. Like Elijah in the Bible, I'm usually looking for God's answers in the big ways - you know...wind, earthquake, fire...that kinda dramatic deal. But, also like Elijah, usually God is answering in the still small voice...the things that unless you are trying to be tuned in to Him you might miss. (If you want to read the story of Elijah, check out 1 Kings 19).

Along the same lines, there was an e-mail that I found in my box when I came home from vacation also. It was from a local pastor who has experienced intense struggles in his ministry over the past number of years, and he was writing to share the incredible joy he was experiencing in seeing some of the wonderful ways God is working in peoples' lives now, that might not have happened had he quit when the going got tough. There have been a couple things in my life right now that I've just been questioning if I/we have missed God on, and wondering (mainly out of my own discomfort more than God's leading) if I should just throw in the towel. God sent another piercing arrow in the last lines of this email. This is what he wrote:

I just thought I should share that with you, in case there is someone who is thinking of quitting because they have not seen the desired results in their work for the LORD. I have often thought about it too!!!!!!

God sure knows how to encourage us when we need it though!

Pretty amazing, huh? So, looks like I'm supposed to hang in there and trust God more - He can handle stuff, even when (and especially when) I can't, or have tried and royally screwed it up. Which is the same thing He was reminding me with this line from Prince Caspian that keeps resounding in my mind and heart.
"Aslan," said Lucy, "you're bigger." "That is because you are older, little one," answered he. "Not because you are?" "I am not. But every year you grow, you will find me bigger."
Dialogue from Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis
Here are just a few other impactful ones for you to ponder. Maybe God can use them to bring an answer to your heart today.

"You have listened to fears, Child," said Aslan. "Come, let me breathe on you. Forget them. Are you brave again?"



"Welcome, Prince," said Aslan. "Do you feel yourself sufficient to take up the Kingship of Narnia?" "I — I don't think I do, Sir," said Caspian. "I'm only a kid." "Good," said Aslan. "If you had felt yourself sufficient, it would have been a proof that you were not. ..."


“Lucy went first, biting her lip and trying not to say all the thins she thought of saying to Susan. But she forgot them when she fixed her eyes on Aslan."


“And I do hope,” said Lucy in a tremulous voice, “that you will all come with me. Because-because I’ll have to go with him whether anyone else does or not.”






2 comments:

Bets said...

They did resound with me - thank you for sharing them; especially the "bigger" one - awesome.

And - by the way - Joey and I LOVE your new pic - you are beautiful.

Jessi said...

Aww...thanks. I just looked at it again, and thought, "wow, I look like mom!"