Tuesday, August 5, 2008

spaghetti with herbed tomatoes and cheese

I can't remember if I posted this recipe before or not (that's why it would be helpful if I could remember to label my posts!) but it's SOOOOO good that even if I did, it's worthy of posting again! It's incredibly delicious and super-fast/easy to make and has always been a hit when I serve it to company. (Of course, Bryce doesn't eat it...but that's beside the point...) It's very nice looking to serve, healthy (I use EVOO and Barilla Plus pasta to help with this) and also re-heats as yummy as it was originally. It's a winner on all counts in my book!

Anyway, the recipe (originally from my mother-in-law...one of my favorite meals to have at her house when Todd and I were dating) is below. It's especially good with a salad and a thick sliced bread (my favorite is this quick, easy, homemade bread) - and a nice, slightly dry wine, if you like wine. (Additional note: I always double the entire recipe - I just use the whole 14.5 oz box of pasta, double all the rest of the ingredients - and because I LOVE cheese, I usually throw an extra cup of mozzarella in for good measure. However, I'll post the recipe as it was originally given to me, and let you play with it and find what works best for you.)

Spaghetti with Herbed Tomatoes and Cheese
1-8 oz. spaghetti
2 T. salad oil
1 sm. garlic clove, minced (or you can use about 1/8 tsp garlic powder if need be)
3 med. tomatoes, diced (I usually just use a can of diced tomatoes, as that usually gives more juice)
2 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp salt
1 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 c. grated (or shredded) parmesan cheese

Cook spaghetti as directed.

In 2 qt. saucepan over medium heat, in hot oil cook garlic til tender. Stir in tomatoes, basil and salt; heat through stirring occasionally.

Drain spaghetti and return to saucepan; toss gently with tomato mixture, mozzarella and parmesan cheese.

Serve immediately.

No comments: