Wednesday, July 16, 2008

who are you playing for?

I saw a t-shirt at Dick's Sporting Goods the other night that jumped out at me and has stuck in my mind all week. This is what it said:

"Play for the name on the front of the jersey, not the back."

Wow, it totally impacted me. I know - it's just a t-shirt. But still...the message is - play for the team, not just for yourself.

Sort of reminds me of another great slogan...

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.
~Philippians 2:3

With PassionFest (a christian outreach event to the Pottstown area featuring extreme sports such as skateboarding, BMX and motorcross riders with a gospel message, bands, games and activities for kids and, of course, food) coming up this weekend, we've talked about how it's a great thing that so many churches - most completely different from each other - come together for this event with the common goal of reaching out to the community.

As I've been reading Red Moon Rising and considering the concept of the prayer room - a place for anyone and everyone to go to to experience God - and also a place to go to cry out for salvation to come to the broken and hurting - I've been stirred again to think outside of myself - my personal goals, dreams, visions - and start remembering the Church (capital C) and HER mission.

The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion-- to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair.
~Isaiah 61:1-3

Great reminders... playing for the team.

2 comments:

Bets said...

Very Cool.

Holly said...

I love that passage in Isaiah! I did a Beth Moore study and we had to memorize most of that chapter - I'm not very good at all about memorizing scripture, but it was a great passage to work on! Thanks for sharing, it is a great reminder! I love how God uses every day stuff to draw our attention to Him!