Tuesday, December 4, 2007

family night foibles

Last night in the middle of supper Kaitlyn announces "I have dibs on the marshmallow cereal for breakfast tomorrow!" (Background - I almost never buy what I consider 'junky' cereal; last week I knew was going to be a crazy week with kids being shuffled around a lot, so out of my guilt, I splurged and got the cheapy version of Lucky Charms. So it's like a mad rush to the cereal when it's down the last of it.) We took the opportunity to explain to Kaitlyn how what she was doing was not caring about others, and to make the point, Todd raised him hand and said "It's like saying 'I'm first to be SELFISH!!'" Seth's hand immediately shot up, "I'M SECOND!!!" Uh, I think the point was missed...

Then later that night we were all playing a game called Cadoo (the kids had been quick to remind me all day that it was Tuesday - Family Night. I had forgotten we even made Tuesdays family night!). We all were sitting around the table when Bryce drew a card that told him to go find something that "makes noise on its own". He jumped down, but stopped by Lucas, who was sitting at the end of the table playing with playdough (since he's a little young for Cadoo, it keeps him occupied and he still feels like he's included with the family). We didn't know what Bryce was doing standing there til Luke started screaming, and we realized Bryce was pinching his arm!! As soon as Luke started howling Bryce said "He made noise on his own!" We informed him it was NOT 'on his own' - it was because he was being pinched! While the other kids giggled, we comforted Lucas, stifling grins of our own - and Bryce forfeited that turn!

There are some days I feel like I have really dropped the ball when it comes to parenting...yesterday was one of those days!! When they display such attitudes and behavior I wonder what, if anything, I am teaching my children! I guess when I see it, there's nothing to do 'cept pick the parenting ball back up and keep on playing!

5 comments:

Briana Almengor said...

I've been trying to "re-program" my brain when I see similar manifestations of sin in my children to thank God that He is providing opportunities to see my kids' sin and have them see it, too...b/c it's in there whether we like it or not. It's a good thing that it's coming out and being addressed; it just doesn't really stroke those idols most parents have (at least, me) of feeling like a "together" parent who has "together" kids. ;)

Anonymous said...

That's funny (not the sin but the story). Reminds me of when I was about six, my younger sister four. She was a horse lover from Day 1.
I was arrogant since day one. One evening my parents were correcting me behind closed doors for it. Andrea stood outside the door, eavesdropping. She heard my dad say, "Zoanna Marie, get down off your high horses!" And then we all heard this little voice at the door say, "And let me up on them!"

Aunt Linda said...

Parenting is far from an exact science, for sure! We are all sinners and our children deal with the same issues we deal with even as adults. Don't be so hard on yourself. Expecting perfection can be devastating. With God's help, you are doing your best.

Jessi said...

Thanks for the encouragement AL. By the way, I got your other comments, and thanks for the encouragement there too. And no, we didn't get a replacement for Kate's doll shoe...they e-mailed and said we could buy a new pair for $8. So far, just hasn't been a priority...

Aunt Linda said...

Jess..

Allow us to spring for a new pair of shoes for the doll???